Outreach serves a variety of groups – from local to worldwide ministries.
• Door-to-Door Monthly Dinners are prepared by members of the church and delivered to shut-ins and needy persons in the community on the second Sunday of the month.
• Food collection takes place on the first Sunday of each month to support the local Food Pantry. We use a monthly theme for the food collection and insert an announcement in the previous Sunday’s service bulletin and the Vine.
• Free Community Meal. On the first Tuesday of every month (5pm – 6:30pm), volunteers from St. Luke’s, as well as from organizations such as RSVP or Marietta Memorial Hospital, plan a menu, prepare the meal, and serve it to community residents. In concert with the Harvest of Hope, this event addresses a major focus of the Outreach Commission, i.e. the issue of hunger in our community.
• Empty Bowls is a cooperative effort between St. Luke’s, Unitarian Universalist Church, and First Congregational Church that provides a soup-salad-dessert meal for hundreds of community citizens each March as a fundraiser for local food pantries. Local artisans craft beautifully unique ceramic and wooden bowls.
• Crop Walk is a national effort that addresses the issue of hunger in one’s community. Participants, either individuals or groups, walk or run any distance of the five-mile course along the Muskingum River trail. They solicit sponsors who pledge financial support for the walkers; such funds are distributed to local food pantries.
• Outreach Sunday occurs on the second Sunday of every month. The monies placed in the collection plate on that day are earmarked in a line item to the annual budget for the various efforts of the Outreach Commission.
• Secret Santa is program in which parishioners serve as Secret Santas for needy children in our community. Donations of toys, clothes, and money are distributed to families through the Community Action Corporation of Washington-Morgan Counties in Ohio.
• Outreach donates financial support for Episcopal Relief and Development and United Thank Offering – each of which generates funding for service to needy constituents.
• On-going use of St. Luke’s church by various organizations, including:
o Historical Society of Washington County
o Civil War Round Table
o Washington Co. Legal Clinic
o Girl Scouts
o Alcoholics Anonymous
o Women’s Way AA